Learning to play the trumpet can be quite tough. Sadly, poor teaching and substandard trumpet books are primarily responsible for many of the challenges faced by many students. It is important to find and utilize the best books when learning to play and master the trumpet. There are certain characteristics that great books have to assist you in improving your trumpeting skills. These include finding books that:
• teach by using simple language
• organize skills in a sequential manner
• illustrate musical concepts with clear images
• teach the ears to recognize crucial musical concepts
• are fun and provide the opportunity for interaction
• provide a technique that students can apply to experience ensemble playing
This list sets a standard most books that teach trumpeting simply do not provide. Thankfully, there are some good books available that meet the standard.