If you have to deal with a tough question to answer, there are a few things you can do.
- Take a deep breath and try to relax. This is not the time to get flustered.
- Answer the question as honestly as possible. There is no need to lie or skirt around the issue.
- If you don’t know the answer, say so. It’s better to admit that you don’t know than to make something up.
- If you need more time to think about the answer, ask for it. There is no shame in admitting that you need a little time to collect your thoughts.
- Be prepared for follow-up questions. The person who asked the original question may want clarification or more information. Be prepared to answer them honestly and to the best of your ability.
- If all else fails, smile and say, “I don’t know.” It’s better, to be honest than to try to bluff your way through the question.